Monday, September 8, 2014

Ireland Flashback: Croagh Patrick

location: Croagh Patrick, County Mayo, Ireland
distance: approx 8 kilometers
elevation: 2,507 feet

details: one of my plans for my first solo trip - to Ireland for just shy of three weeks - was to break in a pair of hiking boots to use for my best friend's wedding. to that end, I consulted my guidebook for a couple of short hikes situated along my driving route to give me a chance to stretch my legs and try out my brand new boots. by the time I got to the base of Croagh Patrick near the end of the day, I'd already done a fair (if easy) hike; all sources warned of at least a 3 hour ascent and 2 hour descent. heedless young one I was, I took off booking anyway - and made it to the top in a somewhat breathless 2 and a half hours. I'd tackle the hike differently if I undertook it today (more time to enjoy the view for a start) and might try for the entire 61 kilometer Croagh Patrick Heritage Trail!

a bit more from my history & travel blog, written shortly after my trip in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment