Friday, July 26, 2013

setting out on the great Ireland hike of 2013

location: departing Chicago's O'Hare airport
distance: 3.13 (running)
entertainment: Haunted Ground, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier, various playlists & podcasts, judiciously avoiding the in-flight movie
transportation: Boeing 757
delays due to weather: two

for many years now, I've made an effort to do something physical before flying (especially a great distance). it seemed a little crazy to pack my running gear on the off-chance I might get up early on the first day of vacation to go down to the hotel gym before heading off on a multi-day hiking tour on the other side of the world. but packing the gear was worth it and I got a nice taste of what a long treadmill run can feel like when your legs are fresh, you're fueled and well-rested. I also got a glimpse of some tramping trails on the North Island of New Zealand thanks to the unnecessary wizardry of a fancy hotel treadmill. it probably helped me sleep once we finally got onto our Dublin-bound flight out of Charlotte, especially as they didn't dim the cabin lights until hours after serving the dinner meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment